San Jose heat wave raises health concerns

Jackie Gao

Students avoid the sun while eating lunch and studying by sitting in the shady area of the table. San Jose is experiencing a heat wave that will last throughout the week.

A heat wave in San Jose will last throughout the week, resulting in higher temperatures and lower humidity levels than usual.

Relative humidity levels of 30 percent to 40 percent coupled with temperatures in the 100s warrant a danger warning on the National Weather Service’s heat index. Overnight temperatures will drop to around 70 degrees, which is still above average because of the high pressures that block cooler air.

Upper school nurse Claire Kelly advises students to stay hydrated throughout the week.

”Make sure you drink plenty of water. Just pay attention to how you are losing any type of water,” Kelly said. “If you are doing exercise you’re going to need extra water. When you are at school, even though it’s hot and you may not be thirsty, you’re probably going to need some water because you are going to lose a lot of water through evaporation and sweating.”

In addition, students and teachers should be sure to dress appropriately for exercise and watch for extreme temperatures before going out.

People should also avoid participating in outdoor activities if they experience any symptoms of dehydration and other heat-related illnesses, such as muscle cramps, nausea, dizziness and headaches. Pets, children and the elderly should not be left in areas without air conditioning or exposure to outside air.

Students and faculty are also experiencing lifestyle changes as a result of the high temperatures.

“[The heat] has convinced my wife that I have to install an air conditioner, which means a lot of extra work when I get home today,” English teacher Christopher Hurshman said.

Other students are not as drastically affected by the heat wave, resulting in minimal changes to their daily life.

“I have to drink a lot more water and it’s kind of annoying,” Christie Chen (9) said. “It doesn’t affect me as much because there is air conditioning in the house.”

The high temperatures this week are not expected to break any records. On September 8, 1904, San Francisco temperatures peaked at 101 degrees, but on that date this year, the high was 90 degrees.

The forecasted temperatures combined with low humidity throughout the state have prompted fire hazard warnings in forested areas.