School meeting recap 8/31

ASB+President+Michael+Zhao+%2812%29+waits+for+the+student+body+to+settle+down+before+starting+the+school+meeting.+This+meeting+featured+announcements+from+organizations+and+teachers+such+as+Dr.+Schaffer%2C+Dr.+Nelson+and+Yearbook.+

Raveena Kapatkar

ASB President Michael Zhao (12) waits for the student body to settle down before starting the school meeting. This meeting featured announcements from organizations and teachers such as Dr. Schaffer, Dr. Nelson and Yearbook.

Jennifer Walrod, Director of Global Education, will hold two 15-minute informational meetings at 11:15 a.m. and noon in Shah 407 regarding a trip next spring to Greece and Italy. The trip is open only to freshmen and sophomores.

Science of Food, a new semester-long course taught by biology teacher Dr. Kate Schafer, will begin next spring. Interested students should email Derek Kameda by next Monday. The course covers the science behind cooking, nutrition and the chemical makeup of food.

Forms for the yearbook are available outside the journalism room. The current price is $100, including personalization, and will go up in November.

Dr. Eric Nelson, Computer Science Department Chair, is holding a meeting in Nichols 312 at the beginning of Wednesday long lunch for anyone interested in participating in next year’s Critical Issues Forum conference. The conference provides an opportunity for high school students and teachers to discuss important international issues such as nuclear non-proliferation.

Applications for National Honor Society (NHS) are now open to sophomores, juniors and seniors. NHS is a program intended for students devoted to promoting scholarship, leadership, service and character. Applications are located on their website under the “apply” section.

Harker Research club will be a workshop in Nichols 325 to help interested students find a research topic. A Science Research Competitions and Internship Athena page has more information regarding the Synopsys science fair and other research opportunities. The password is of W8VKK-52ZH4.

Girls’ Volleyball travels to Homestead on Thursday. Junior Varsity plays at 4:30 p.m. and Varsity at 6 p.m. Boys’ Varsity Water Polo will play Willcox on Friday, and Girls’ Varsity Volleyball will play at Milpitas on Saturday.

JV plays at 4 p.m. and Varsity at 7 p.m Friday in the first of six Friday night lights games. A Facebook page will be created for “the Nest,” a group dedicated to supporting sports; more information will be given about it in the future.

Homecoming Court nominations begin this week. More information will be available during class meetings. As decided in last Friday’s spirit kickoff, this year’s Homecoming theme is animal habitats.

Students are reminded to always look up and make eye contact with drivers in the parking lot for maximum safety. Students are advised not to walk through the middle of the parking lot after the drop off zone is extended into school.

Students can check a box on their PCR announcement page to receive automated email announcements.