Freshmen meet at Rosenthal field for donuts

Jessica Wang

Jimmy Lin (9) sets down a box of fresh donuts on the Rosenthal field bleachers after third period. As the freshmen class president, Jimmy helped organize the event.

The freshman class council handed out free donuts to its class after third period today.

Students had been notified of the event, in previous class meetings and by email. The council planned the gathering to bring some fun into the final weeks of the school year.

Derek Kuo (9), secretary of the freshmen student council, helped come up with the idea of giving freshmen free donuts.

“We had an idea to go get donuts for the grade, and we decided to do something special for the Class of 2018, so we decided to just go get donuts,” Derek said.

Freshmen previously filled out a survey sent via email regarding their preferred flavor of donut so that the council would know roughly what quantities of each flavor to purchase. Chocolate, glazed, powdered sugar, sprinkled and plain donuts were among the assortment of treats available. The freshmen council, along with Freshman Class Dean Dr. Victor Adler, placed boxes of donuts on the bleachers by the field.

“It was a great opportunity to spend more time with my friends and gather around eating donuts,” Aliesa Bahri (9) said.

The event took place during the time class meeting is normally held. After freshmen received their donuts, several upperclassmen took the remaining ones.

Freshman Nastya Grebin (9) also commented on her favorite part of the gathering.

“Chasing off senior and juniors and sophomores who were trying to get donuts [was my favorite part],” Nastya said.

Although a handful of freshmen had AP exams, the donut-filled gathering was scheduled on a day in which the only exams were U.S. Government, French and Spanish Literature, courses that not many freshmen take.

Freshmen stayed on Rosenthal field to enjoy their donuts before going to extra help. The freshman student council will host a paintball activity for its class on the last day of school.