Students polish their skills in preparation for the upcoming school year

This+graphic+shows+the+amount+of+students+signed+up+for+various+courses+for+summer.+

Shay Lari-Hosain

This graphic shows the amount of students signed up for various courses for summer.

Signups are now open for Harker’s summer courses. Nine courses are offered for credits, such as chemistry, biology, and programming, and additional 39 courses are available for students to choose based on their own personal interests.

“I think that the thing that makes the Harker summer programs special is not only the focus on academics but also the fun stuff,” Kelly Espinosa, Director of Summer & Preschool Programs, said. “At other camps, families might send their kids to either a soccer camp or a math camp, but the Harker camps facilitate both needs.”

This year, the AP Chemistry course has approximately 80 students enrolled at the moment, the most out of all classes this year.

“I think that class is also a little more popular because, not compared to others, but compared to AP Biology, the students are younger and don’t have many options outside of summer school in terms of jobs and internships,” Academic Dean Evan Barth said.

Students who wish to take the chemistry and biology advanced placement (AP) courses in the upcoming school year must take a summer course for that subject. There is one session in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Strict attendance is required and students who are absent for more than one class period during a three-week course or two periods during a six-week course will not receive the credit and must leave the class.

Some students believe that the credit summer courses should be available but not required for students planning to take the AP.

“For the AP requirements, I think that Harker shouldn’t mandate students to take the summer course if they are already capable of performing in their desired class for the next year,” Jimmy Lin (9) said. “I think that the class is still a great opportunity for students, but it is a huge time commitment.”

Harker Summer Institute also provides other courses for the students’ personal interests such as creative writing, driver’s education and debate. Sports camps, such as baseball, soccer, wrestling and volleyball are also available during summer.

Students may sign up for teaching assistant (TA) slots for middle school enrichment classes.

“I am going to TA for regular programming this year,” Alex Henshall (11) said. “I was in the summer class myself. There was a nice TA there named John; he graduated now. I thought, man, I really want to be in that position. I consider myself to be pretty good at programming, I don’t want to toot my own horn or anything, but I thought if I was going to be TA a class, I might as well do something I’m good at.”

Though registration does not close until the classes start, spots fill up quickly. Courses range in cost from $390 to $1,595 and last from June 15 to Aug. 7 with curriculums built for students from elementary school to high school.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on April 22, 2015.