Spring Rally ends Spirit Week

Kshithija Mulam

Navsher Singh (12) and the senior class participate in the scream-off. All of the classes celebrated the end of Spirit Week with the annual Spring Rally on Friday.

Spirit Club hosted the annual Spring Rally on Friday for freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors to end Spirit Week today on Davis Field at 11 a.m.

The rally was the final event of this year’s Spirit Week, which included dress-up days, special food options related to the day’s theme and other spirit events held every day of the week.

“I think for all the events for spirit week, a lot of them are optional to come out to so a lot of people don’t, but the rally is the one place where every single person in the class is, and they’re participating because they’re cheering on their classmates,” sophomore Spirit Coordinator Haley Tran said.

As students filed out onto the field for the rally, the sophomores were joined by their Eagle Buddies, who also participated in events during the rally.

The rally began with the cheerleaders performing a routine followed by the freshman and sophomore classes performing their respective dances. The freshman dance ended with the dancers being soaked with buckets of water and teachers firing water guns at the audience; the sophomore dance concluded with a brief cheer from the entire sophomore class together.

The dance was something that we added on a couple years ago because in the past it used to be a skit like Homecoming Week but for several years now we’ve been doing the dance instead,” one of Spirit Club’s presidents, Julia Wang (12), said.

Following the sophomore and freshman dances, all four classes participated in the scream-off. The seniors and juniors initially tied, but after two more attempts from both classes, the seniors came out on top, followed by the juniors, Eagle Buddies, freshmen and sophomores in that order.

Jazz Band performed a song featuring Julia and Chris Hailey (10) as singers. Each class then competed in an obstacle course relay while being represented by five members of each class. The seniors won with the juniors in second, freshmen in third and sophomores in fourth.

The juniors performed their dance beginning with a choreographed routine featuring junior class advisors and ending with the entire junior class rushing out onto the field for a final cheer together.

“When the rally started, I’m pretty sure half of us didn’t even know what the dance was, and the people who did know were really good at helping the people who didn’t know learn the dance, so when the time came, we were all really coordinated and it worked out,” Kevin Ke (11) said.

The junior varsity dance troupe briefly danced for the audience before the seniors took the stage to close the rally with their dance. The seniors began their dance with the senior advisors performing a brief routine, followed by a group of student dancers, then a group of boys followed by girls and finishing with the entire class dancing in a crowd on the field.

Several of the spectators spoke about how the rally succeeded in uniting their respective classes for the spirit events and competitions.

“I saw a lot of smiles in our grade,” Marcus Chen (9) said. “I don’t see that often.”

Following the rally, sophomores had lunch with their Eagle Buddies. The final standings for points for Spirit Week will be announced in a future school meeting.