Day two of spirit week features Twister, tie-dye and snow cones

Spirit week continued today with games of Twister during both lunch periods, free snow cones during extra help and a tie-dye themed dress up day.

“I like spirit week. [It] gets our brains to think in a different way,” Anastasia Cheplyanksy, one of the freshman participants in the period six Twister game, said. “The spirit event today was fun.

During period five lunch, the seniors came out on top, with freshmen taking second place, sophomores third and juniors fourth.

In period six lunch, juniors came in first, sophomores second, seniors third and freshmen fourth.

Although each giant game of Twister was initially intended to have 16 participants, two boys and two girls from each grade, not enough students volunteered and the games had to start with fewer than the requisite number of players from each class.

Despite this, spectator Linus Li (9) expressed surprise at the turnout.

“Twister, surprisingly, had more people than I expected, and it was interesting to see more people participate, especially after the student council speeches,” Linus said. “Overall, I feel like it was a pretty good start to spirit week, and I’m excited to see what’s happening next.”

Edward Sheu (11), Class of 2016 Spirit Coordinator, won the period six game and explained why he likes to participate in spirit events.

“You can just go out and you can have fun in competitions with your friends. A little competitive edge always makes it fun against the other classes,” he said. “I just love that the other students can come out and have fun [with] random activities, and it’s purely non-academic stuff.

Just like it gave away free cereal yesterday morning to tie in with the theme of pajama day, the spirit club had free snow cones outside Manzanita during extra help.

One station provided students with the ice and another with several flavors of syrup that matched students’ multicolored attire.

Tomorrow is “Would you be my friend if I wore this every day?” day, also known as “Wacky Wednesday.” The powderpuff football game, in which girls play football and boys perform a cheerleading routine, will take place during long lunch on the field.