Athena moving to Schoology platform next year

Harker will replace its Athena2 website with athena.harker.org, which will use the Schoology platform, next year. This website is live now, with students enrolled in their current courses.

“If teachers want to try using it a little bit this semester, they could bring in material that they have in their Moodle courses in Athena2,” Diane Main, Upper School Director of Learning, Innovation and Design, said. “But everyone will begin using it in the new school year.”

Schoology will replace Moodle, the learning management system (LMS) currently used to power Athena2. Medha Shah (10) commented on Athena2 and its predecessor, Athena.

“I’ve used the previous previous Athena before, and I thought that one was messed up, so the Athena2 was a really good step up from that,” Medha said. “I think right now it’s fine because it’s pretty organized and you can see all the courses that you’re enrolled in.”

K-12 Director of Learning, Innovation and Design and Director of Information Technology Service and Support Daniel Hudkins discussed the move to Athena2 from Athena.

“When [Moodle] went from version 1.x to 2.x there was a major overhaul of the underlying engine, and we couldn’t move from the old site, from the older version to the new version without completely reconstituting the site,” Hudkins said. “In order to leave the archives available for teachers and also to permit piloting at the same time, we started Athena2.”

Main discussed reasons for the upcoming move away from Athena2 and the Moodle platform.

“We did have some faculty members who weren’t really using Athena2 very much, partly because the interface was not super intuitive,” Main said. “We considered finding some way to basically skin Moodle to add a better interface, but we found that that was going to be cost-prohibitive.”

Schoology contains calendar and gradebook systems, but Main said that Harker will continue to primarily use PCR for those functions.

“The way our gradebook and assessment calendar feeds into our student information system, which are both PCR, we couldn’t have people not using it because then the grades wouldn’t exist in the official gradebook,” Main said.

Main discussed features of Schoology: a Facebook-like activity feed displays new information for student courses, and a groups function as a way to organize clubs and other non-class organizations on campus.

Athena2 will remain in use for the rest of this school year.