Students tie-dye shirts for Spirit Week

Katy Sanchez (12) ties her shirt with rubber bands before spraying paint on it. Spirit Club hosted the tie-dye event so that students could wear something on Tie Dye Day during Spirit Week.

Students from each class brought white shirts to tie-dye during long lunch today in front of Manzanita Hall.

Spirit Club hosted the event and provided students with rubber bands, gloves and an assortment of tie-dye paints to decorate their shirts.

“I think it was pretty successful. The only thing we need to change if we do this again is get more tie-dye and more tables because we had a really good turnout,” Spirit Club Co-President Katy Sanchez (12) said. “This was one of the first times that I actually felt that people wanted to be really involved in Harker spirit, so that was really nice.”

Spirit Club organized the event so students would have something to wear on Tie Dye Day during Spirit Week.

The tie-dye event began 10 minutes into long lunch and lasted for the rest of the period. Swarms of students surrounded the two tables designated for tie-dye activities. Towards the end of lunch, a pile of freshly tie-dyed shirts began to grow on the tables outside Manzanita Hall.

Krishna Bheda (9) commented on her experience at the tie-dye event.

“It’s fun to make tie-dye, but my hands feel super sticky from all the paint,” Krishna said.

Other students felt that the tie-dye event was a learning opportunity as well as a chance to have fun.

“This event is really cool so far,” Kendall Ka (10) said. “I don’t really know how to tie-dye so it’s a new experience.”

Students also viewed the event as a good way to socialize with their peers and express their creativity.

“I love tie-dye: it brings out the color within my soul,” Shikhar Dixit (12) said. “I love being a part of the Harker community and enjoying the presence of Harker people.”

Spirit Club may hold another tie-dye event in the near future so students who forgot their shirts will still have an opportunity to participate.