Freshman honor council representatives chosen

Millie Lin (9) and Rahul Bhethanabotla (9) were appointed freshman honor council representatives during the class meeting on Tuesday.

A total of nine candidates ran for the position: Divija Bhimaraju, Megan Cardosi, Arindam Ghosh, Sameep Mangat, Rajiv Movva, Akshaya Vemuri and Kevin Xu.

“I feel really excited about the first meeting and getting to know more about what I’m going to be doing,” Millie said. “I can’t wait for what’s coming next.”

Representatives meet for about an hour every week to discuss honor-related issues on campus. Though academic honesty is a problem, honor council representatives also try to address different challenges, such as ways of keeping the campus clean and students’ views on honor.

Honor council candidates and representatives expressed their excitement in spreading the idea of honor on the campus and offered several ideas on how to keep students informed about it.

“A lot of the ideas I had in speech I think we can still do,” Divija said. “For example, having a quarterly newsletter about the honor council would increase the amount of information, and we can also have inspirational speakers and stories distributed to inspire people to follow the rules.”

In addition to changing current views on honor, some representatives also want to get to know their fellow students.

“I’m really looking forward to working with people, especially with the other individuals who ran,” Rahul said. “There might still be opportunities in the future for people who are interested to improve the state of honor at our school.”

Honor council chair Nicholas Manjoine looks forward to integrating Millie and Rahul and their new ideas into the current honor council.

“Honor council is dedicated to making sure that students have an idea about what the honor code is, which is much more than just integrity,” Manjoine said. “It’s always really nice to ask people to consider what their values are, and whether or not they’re in accord with the honor code.”

Though freshmen have already decided on their honor council representatives, those who were not elected could possibly still play a role in honor council.

“In the future, the honor council may not necessarily be just representatives elected, and starting as early as this spring, there will be new ways to integrate honor into our school,” Divjia said. “I plan on participating in whatever those new changes might be, and continuing my contribution to honor at this school.”

The honor council plans on becoming more active and will reach out to students through updates and newsletters.