Four-way tie at egg drop competition

Leg+bent+and+arm+down%2C+junior+class+dean+Matthew+Harley+mockingly+prepares+to+drop+the+egg.+Juniors+comprised+the+majority+of+the+crowd+that+watched+the+spirit+event.+

Kathy Duan

Leg bent and arm down, junior class dean Matthew Harley mockingly prepares to drop the egg. Juniors comprised the majority of the crowd that watched the spirit event.

All four classes emerged victorious at the egg drop competition held in front of Nichols Hall during Wednesday long lunch.

After building up anticipation about a surprise spirit event at previous Monday meetings, Spirit club revealed that they were holding an egg drop class competition.

“Usually in January, Spirit club chooses to do a secret spirit event that they don’t announce,” Activities Coordinator Kerry Enzensperger said. “[It’s] just something to have people come out and work together that they can’t preplan for.”

Though the club advertised the competition beforehand, class participation turned out lower than expected. About 20 students in freshman, junior and senior classes appeared to either watch the egg drop or participate, but only about seven sophomores showed up at the event.

“I wish more people came out, but it was a surprise spirit event so there was no time to prepare anyways,” Class of 2017 Spirit Coordinator Haley Tran said

Students were only allowed to use the materials on the tables in the Edge to protect their egg, which included balloons, breakfast cereal, straws, napkins and streamers. Despite limited materials and preparation time, all four classes managed to secure a victory, a first in the history of Harker egg drops.

According to Assistant Activities Coordinator Eric Kallbrier, “the secret ingredient this year was the box of Lucky Charms that was the lucky charm for each class.”

Although all classes emerged victorious, the freshman class’ hopes were almost dashed. While Kalbrier was removing the paper streamers from the egg, it slipped out of his grasp and rolled onto the ground. Unlike Humpty Dumpty, the freshman egg remained intact after two drops.

“In the end, the freshmen still get first place out of all the classes because at the end of the day Eric dropped our egg a second time,” Freshman Class President Jimmy Lin said. “He didn’t do this to all the other classes, so we still get first place above all the other classes, so we’re still superior.”

Next Wednesday long lunch, Spirit Club will be holding a Valentine’s Day event, in which students may shoot arrows to win prizes.