Upper school students to take linguistics examination

Vikram Sundar (14) poses alongside teammates at the International Physics Olympiad in Astana, Kazakhstan. The team of four went on to win the gold medal.

Office of Communications

Vikram Sundar (’14) poses alongside teammates at the International Physics Olympiad in Astana, Kazakhstan. The team of four went on to win the gold medal.

North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad’s (NACLO) qualifying exam for semifinalists will be held tomorrow, Jan. 29, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., with check-in beginning at 8:40 a.m.

A computational linguistics competition attracting thousands of student participants, NACLO is a three hour-long examination where students solve puzzles involving obscure or disappearing languages, such as Japanese Braille and Movima.

In the past, Harker students have advanced far in the competition, with alumnus and former Linguistics club president Erik Andersen (‘13) winning a bronze medal at the international level with the U.S. team.

According to club President Jessica Zhu (11), NACLO and the linguistics club have expanded exponentially of late in terms of participation and interest.

“The olympiads in the STEM fields tend to be more popular especially among Harker students,” Jessica said. “Through linguistics club, I hope to encourage more students to take NACLO as I believe that it is a great way to explore the beauty of language and challenge the mind in a way that emphasizes logic and deduction over memorizing formulas and complex derivations.”

The Upper School also has a large number of student participants in the U.S. National Physics Olympiad (USAPhO), the U.S. Biology Olympiad (USABO), the U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad (UNSCO), the U.S. Computing Olympiad (USACO) and the U.S. Mathematics Olympiad (USAMO).

USAPhO was held on Jan. 19 in Dr. Eric Nelson’s room.

Last year, Harker alumnus Vikram Sundar (‘14) was among five Harker students to become a national finalist and went on to win a gold medal at the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO).

Computer science department chair and physics teacher Dr. Nelson comments on the competition.

“We don’t do extra preparation, we don’t have a physics olympiad after school club[…][but] last year five students were [national] finalists [and] we’re a small school,” Dr. Nelson said.

USACO is an online programming competition that will be taken in four three-hour long parts composed of three to four algorithms such as line sweep, flood fill and shortest path. Student are given a four day window in which they are required to take one part.

Co-president of the Harker Algorithms club and participant in last year’s national training camp, Lawrence Li, shares his goals for the competition. Both the Harker Algorithms and Programming clubs run a series of programming contests during the year in preparation for the olympiad.

“My hope this year is to qualify for the training camp again and make it into the U.S. team,” Lawrence said. “I also hope that I can share what I’ve learned from these experiences with younger students and introduce them to useful resources so that they can develop a passion for computer science.”

The first part of USACO is conducted between Dec. 12 to 15, the second Jan. 16 to 19, the third Feb. 20 to 23 and the fourth and last April 3 to 6.

taraparimi

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on January 28, 2015.