Juniors begin college counseling sessions

Raveena Kapatkar

College counselors provide information about the college counseling process during the junior class’s first meeting on Jan. 20.

The junior class began its weekly college counseling meetings on Jan. 20 during extra help.

College counseling marks the beginning of the college application process for many juniors, and will continue through the end of the first semester of senior year.

Counselors Nicole Burrell, Kevin Lum Lung, Andrew Quinn and Martin Walsh guide the students throughout the process and help them with any questions or concerns.

“[We] calmly lay out what we are actually doing here,” Burrell said. “[The students] actually have a lot more time than [they] think, [and] we are going to walk [them] through this process step by step.”

Malvika Khanna (11) believes college counseling plays an important role in her high school career.

“College counseling seems pretty daunting to me, but I’ve seen my brother go through the process, so I understand how important it is,” she said. “I know that the counselors are here to help me and that in the end, the process will be worth it.”

Lum Lung stresses the importance of what juniors should be doing to prepare themselves and comments about what piece of advice many seniors suggest to the junior class.

Senior Savi Joshi enjoyed her college counseling experience because many of the people she knew were going through the same situations and could relate with each other.

“Even though it was really stressful and the writing was really frustrating at times because you always want to give out this good piece and you look at it one day and it is amazing, and you look at it a week later and it is the worst thing you’ve ever written, the people, the counselors, your friends, we’re all going through this process together and your teachers become really understanding,” Savi said. “I think it is just a different process and out of it you become a different person because you’re forced to reflect on yourself so much. The whole college process is more of a self reflection.”

The junior class will continue to meet their counselors in their designated locations every Tuesday during extra help.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on Jan. 28, 2015.