Record number of Intel STS finalists announced

Steven Wang (12) and Andrew Jin (12) were two of Harkers three Intels finalists. Harker set a new national record with 15 semifinalists and 3 finalists.

Steven Wang (12) and Andrew Jin (12) were two of Harker’s three Intel’s finalists. Harker set a new national record with 15 semifinalists and 3 finalists.

The Intel Science Talent Search announced the finalists of its science research competition on Wednesday morning. Upper School seniors Andrew Jin, Rohith Kuditipudi and Steven Wang were among those named.

This year, Harker had seen 15 students pass to the semifinals round. For the semifinalist round, 300 individuals were selected from 1,800 contestants. Later an additional 40 finalists were selected and invited to Washington D.C. for the final judging.

Steven Wang (12) worked on a project involving colorectal cancer.

“I discovered new potential driver genes for colorectal cancer by analyzing large genomic databases,” Steven said. “Additionally, I tested two well-known drivers from my study in a novel organoid model (a mini-organ system).”

Andrew Jin (12) focused his research efforts on evolutionary genetics with regards to mutations in the human genome.

“I used powerful machine learning algorithms to systematically identify adaptive mutations across the full human genome, showing the computer 7.5 million simulated mutations in order to teach it how to recognize features typical of ones under selection,” Andrew said. “By analyzing massive public genomics datasets, I found that these [adaptive mutation candidates] play roles in crucial processes such as immune response, metabolism, and brain development.”

Rohith Kuditipudi (12) worked with fatty liver disease and its progression. He is most anticipating the trip to Washington D.C.

“As far as what I’m excited about, meeting the president tops the list,” Rohith said.

Out of all the schools that participated in the Intel research competition, the Upper School sent the most finalists this year as well as the most semifinalists.

The Upper School was first represented in the competition with one Upper School semifinalist in 2006. The number has grown annually ever since.

This pattern of growth seems to have been a trend starting from the year 2006 when it sent its first semifinalist to compete. The number has been growing ever since.

According to the Intel Foundation’s press release, the competition now features a $150,000 cash prize for the top three finalists. Second place candidates will be offered a $75,000 cash prize and third-place candidates a $35,000 prize.

Science teacher and Research Club advisor Chris Spenner believes that the Upper School provides a sizable foundation for pursuing scientific research.

“Harker students have access to tremendous opportunities related to science research, starting with a strong foundation of academic skills,” Spenner said. “The science department offers a range of science project support, including sponsorship for a number of competitions and symposia, clubs, lab access, project-specific classes, summer travel experiences and science internship programs.”

Spenner added that the success behind student research can be attributed to their own affinities for research.

“All of the privileges in the world don’t matter unless students are motivated to make use of them,” he said. “And we certainly have motivated students.”