LIFE self defense workshop teaches students basic skills

Sanjana Avula

Students who attended the workshop practice a skill taught to them. The workshop was held in the Nichols Atrium during long lunch.

LIFE held a self defense workshop in the Atrium to teach students skills that are useful in the outside world during lunch today from 11:20 p.m to 11:50 p.m. The LIFE Board is headed by Jane Keller.

Students involved in planning the workshop expressed the importance of self defense.

“It’s always good to know how to defend yourself when situations arise. LIFE Board member Shannon Hong (11) said

It’s always good to know how to properly defend yourself and I think its a really good skill for our juniors and seniors especially to learn before they go out to college.” Students from all grades attended the class, which not only taught self defense, but also awareness.

“I learned that everyone is suspicious and the most important thing is to be aware,” Aria Coalson (9) said.

People can use self defense during various occasions to protect themselves.

“I’ve been to places that are not so safe before and my neighborhood isn’t so safe so it’s good to be prepared,” Karen Tu (11) said.

Natalie Simonian (11) and Shannon mainly headed the workshop.

“At the meeting, we presented that post from Tumblr and I’ve seen it a lot on my dash, and our friends were complaining about how they were going to survive in later life, so we came up with this program to as much as we can to be able to survive,” Natalie said.

LIFE will also offer more classes in which students can learn useful skills in order to manage their lives. Some of the classes include car basics, cooking, budgeting and first aid.