Varsity girl’s basketball loses to Leigh High School

Meena Gudapati

Players watch the ball as Jordan Thompson (10) shoots. The girls’ varsity basketball team went on to lose the game against Leigh High School 30-54.

The Varsity girls’ basketball team lost to the Leigh High School Longhorns 30-54 at Blackford on Friday.

In the first quarter, Leigh was leading 9-7. Harker then scored six points, and Leigh scored 19 in the second quarter. In the final two quarters, the Longhorns built on their lead by adding 26 points to their score. Harker also received 17 additional points in the second half, bringing the score to a 30-54 Leigh victory.

Head coach of the Varsity girls’ basketball team, Alfredo Alves, commented on Harker’s performance throughout the game.

“The score doesn’t say it, but the girls played really hard,” he said. “We were outmatched in the game by the bigger girls (from Leigh), but our girls were working hard to get it.”

Akshaya Vemuri (9), a player on the team, shared a similar sentiment about the game.

“The other team had quite a few tall players but we knew we could handle it with our speed,” she said. “I think we play really well as a team. We’re able to be successful both on offense and defense by communicating with each other.”

High-scorer Jordan Thompson (10) recieved 11 points, Satchi Thockchom (9) scored seven points, and Elizabeth Beamish (9) scored six. This game brings the girls to a 6-3 record.

Alves believes the team will be ready once league starts.

“I think from the first day to now, they have been coming along a lot better,” he said. “They improve everyday, and I think going into our league season we’re going to be doing well.”

The girls will play their first league game next Tuesday against Woodside Priory at the Saratoga campus.