Archaeologist Jodi Magness presents groundbreaking finds

Emma Yu

Archaeologist Jodi Magness speaks to the students in Nichols Aditorium about her great finds. Donna Gilbert, who organized Dr. Mangess’s visit, used to be a student of the archaeologist.

Archaeologist and professor Dr. Jodi Magness spoke to the Upper School community today about her groundbreaking and unpublished late-Roman synagogue excavations in Huqoq, Israel.

From the first month of excavation, the study has been “serendipitous,” revealing the second-ever synagogue mosaic of the Old Testament hero Samson. Dr. Magness detailed the process of selecting the study’s location, assembling a team of specialists, and excavating the site.

“You have to be really careful,” Dr. Magness said, describing the site selection as an “educated guess.” “It’s not like formal scientific research, because you don’t have a repeatable experiment. You don’t get a do-over.”

Dr. Magness, a current archaeology professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, specializes in ancient synagogues and architecture of Palestine during the Roman, Byzantine and early Islamic periods.

“No pictures, please,” she said, before revealing her team’s major mosaic findings from this summer, which are currently being compiled into a research paper.

Dr. Magness’s motivations for archaeological study began at a young age with a childhood interest.

“I wanted to be an archaeologist since I was 12.” she said. “I had the usual childhood fascination with dinosaurs. I was going to Girl Scout camp, too, and finding fossils of shells. Anyway, it all sort of pulled together and ever since then I wanted to be an archaeologist.”

Donna Gilbert, History and Social Science Department Chair and Dr. Magness’s thesis advisee, organized the archaeologist’s visit.

“She was a fantastic teacher,” Gilbert said. “I’ve always wondered about what she was doing. I actually looked her up and found out that she was doing some incredible new work. I thought it would be really interesting to try and get her to come and talk at our school.”

The presentation was largely attended by history students and architecture enthusiasts.

“Over the months, we’ve studied quite a few different pieces and analyzed their canonical significance in western art history,” AP Art History student Maya Nandakumar (12) said. “It was compelling to hear Dr. Magness speak about the process of actually determining the relevance of such works.”

Dr. Magness will continue the Huqoq dig with UNC-Chapel Hill students this summer. Future trips are dependent on funding for the $170,000-per-year project.