Varsity girls volleyball advances in Norcals with a win against Willows

The Varsity girls volleyball team huddles together before the final set. The girls defeated Willows High School 3-0 to advance to the second round of the Norcal tournament.

Alyssa Amick

The Varsity girls’ volleyball team huddles together before the final set. The girls defeated Willows High School 3-0 to advance to the second round of the Norcal tournament.

The Varsity girls’ volleyball team won 3-0 against no. 6 seed Willows High School in the Division IV Norcal Quarterfinals held at Blackford, advancing to the semifinal round of Norcals.

Coming back strong from a slow start, the girls won the first set by a two-point margin, ending with a score of 29-27. The girls gained momentum and took the second and third sets 25-7 and 25-20 respectively.

This game is a momentous win for Harker, as it marks the first time since 2007 that Harker volleyball has advanced to Norcals and Harker’s first time ever hosting a Norcal match in any sport. Harker currently holds the no. 3 seed in the tournament.

http://www.cifstate.org/sports/girls_volleyball/d4

Throughout the game, the girls were supported by the cheers of fellow students, teachers and family members, many of whom sported green and white pompoms or held signs.

The Varsity girls' volleyball team poses with medals earned after their second place finish in the CCS finals. The girls received the no. 3 seed in the Norcal tournament.
The Varsity girls’ volleyball team poses with medals earned after their second place finish in the CCS finals. The girls received the no. 3 seed in the Norcal tournament.

Varsity defensive specialist Taylor Iantosca (10) comments on the team’s chances in Norcals.

“I strongly believe that we have a great shot at winning Norcals. We play the second seed on Saturday,” Taylor said. “We’re [going to] have to battle but I believe that we’re [going to] pull through this time. We’ve had our ups and downs this entire season, but I feel like we are peaking at the right time. We’ve [stepped] it up and we’ve been progressing.”

Harker alumnus and former girls’ Varsity captain Divya Kalidindi (‘14) returned to Blackford to see the team compete.

“The girls played really well last night; they all connected really well and looked like they were having a lot of fun,” Kalidindi said.

Harker will face no. 2 seed Sonora on Nov. 29 at Sonora High School. The entry fees are $9 for general admission and $5 for students with IDs.