More attention paid to biker safety in Cupertino

Justin Su

SAFETY IN HEADWEAR: Andrew Semenza (11) prepares to bike home in the afternoon wearing his helmet. More attention has been paid to biker safety concerns after a big rig accident in Cupertino.

Cupertino and its City Council came together to discuss new biker safety rules after a student from Monta Vista High School was killed in a big rig bicycle accident on his way to school.

According to Monta Vista High’s student news site El Estoque, Cupertino’s City Council plans to have the biker lanes painted green in order to create a clear distinction for drivers and bikers.

“We want to make sure our streets are safe for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers,” Cupertino Mayor Gilbert Wong wrote in a statement he released on Cupertino city’s website to support the community.

While the City Council discusses further actions to take regarding biker safety, a few reminders have already been put into effect.

“I have seen multiple speed radars in the passages up to that spot [where the accident took place] where it shows and reminds the drivers of their speed limits,” Kevin Su (12) said. “They are trying to make the community more mindful of that area.”

The incident hit close to home for Sanil Rajput (11) and his family, who live near Monta Vista High.

“During the summer, I used to bike on that road every day,” he said. “It’s such a tragic event. You don’t expect it to happen, and, of course, something needs to be done to change this.”

People in the Cupertino area came together to support the boy’s family at the location of the incident. Kevin passes by the memorial everyday when he drives home from school.

However, despite the accident, MVHS senior William Shih believes that it is still safe to bike to school.

“I don’t think it’s dangerous as long as you follow the rules of the road and stay safe,” he said. “For the most part, people are very aware of their surroundings.”

Matthew Lee (9) also thinks it is safe to bike to school.

While some students continue to bike and walk to school, senior Jason Jeong thinks that students should be more aware and careful of doing so at Harker.

“Saratoga Avenue is such a busy street and cars just whiz by without much regard for pedestrians or bikers,” he said.

San Jose has a Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition that focuses on biker safety in the city by developing various bikeway designs and plans. One part of this organization is Vision One, which aims to educate bikers and address any issues involving biker safety.

On the group’s website BikeSiliconValley, Vision One’s “goal is to have zero deaths or life-altering injuries due to roadway design or user error in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties.”

As a result of this big rig accident, Cupertino’s City Council is continuing to discuss ways to further improve biker safety to attempt to prevent such incidents from taking place again.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on November 21, 2014.