AP Studio Art students take field trip to Alcatraz Island

Students from AP Studio Art drawing, 2D, photography and 3D visited Alcatraz Island on Wednesday, Nov. 19 for an exhibit by artist Ai WeiWei.

The students took a ferry to the island and went on a walking tour of the @Large: Ai WeiWei on Alcatraz exhibition. They visited different large-scale works of art in the New Industries building, a group of cells in A Block, the hospital and the dining Hall. The exhibition questions freedom of expression and human rights.

Art teacher Pilar Aguero Aguero-Esparza decided to bring the students to the Alcatraz exhibit because of its uniqueness.

“Ai WeiWei is just a terrific internationally known artist, whose political work is very timely both internationally and in this country and I think the exhibit at Alcatraz Island is so unique to have an artist of his stature be able to look at that space and its very relevant to the type of work that he does, the type of issues that he works with, so its such a good combination to be able to utilize the power of that space and then see how he can incorporate some of  his specific ideas in the setting to create his works,” Aguero-Esparza said.

For the students, it was a break from the traditional forms of art they had been used to seeing.

“It was interesting to see art with the sole purpose of promoting freedom of expression and human rights, whereas other art [is] simply meant to look pleasing,” Kevin Ke (11) said.

Sophia Luo (11) especially liked the lego exhibit. It was one of the first exhibits the students viewed, and consisted of a floor covered in lego pieces put to together to resemble various faces of peaceful protesters from around the world who were suppressed by their respective governments.

“I became more aware of the struggle for human rights. I think it was very enlightening,” Sophia said.

The location in which the artist chose for his artwork factored into its impact.

“The work was presented in an environment which brought out a more meaningful context through the association between political belief and imprisonment,” Eric Cheung (12) said.

For senior Archana Podury, her favorite part was the tour of the actual prison facility and she ended up reading a lot about Alcatraz and its history after the trip.

Archana also thought that the exhibits were not anything like what she had imagined it to be. For two of the pieces, there were so many elements going on that she felt like she missed a lot of the detail work. Overall, she thought that exhibits were very thought provoking.

“It kind of makes me question the simplistic things I’m drawing now… maybe I should try out different media and take bigger leaps in the concepts that I draw!” Archana said.

The weather also played a significant role in the trip as it rained throughout the students time on the island making it hard for the photography students to keep their cameras dry.

The students returned to San Francisco by ferry and arrived back on campus around 3:30 p.m.