Junior class visits Eagle buddies

Maya Jeyendran

Helen Woodruff (11) and her Eagle buddy, Linette Hoffman (4), pose for a picture at today’s Eagle buddies event. Students ate lunch and participated in an activity during this particular visit.

Juniors visited their Eagle Buddies for the first time this school year at the Bucknall campus today.

After exchanging letters regarding the start of the school year and Thanksgiving, many students were excited at the prospect of reuniting with their buddies after several months. Juniors boarded buses at 11:45 a.m. and then travelled to the Lower School campus where they ate lunch and participated in an activity with their buddies.

This visit’s activity centered around creating a care package for underprivileged children via the Sacred Heart Community Service organization. Juniors and their Eagle Buddies packaged candies, toys and a self-made candy cane ornament into a Christmas-themed box.

Some students felt that participating in charity work presented an opportunity to assist the community, while still bonding with their Eagle Buddies.

“I think helping out with the Sacred Heart [organization] was a great way to combine our time with Eagle Buddies and helping the community,” Nikita Ramoji (11) said.

Lev Sepetov (11) also felt that the event ran smoothly.

“[Our visit] was a good length,” he said. “We could hang out with our Eagle buddies and socialize but it wasn’t too long.”

Other students felt that while meeting their buddies was an enjoyable experience, the duration of the visit was too short for satisfaction.

“I didn’t think we had enough time to eat and just talk with our buddies, as my buddy, my partner, and I hadn’t even finished lunch when they called us to go to the table stations,” Anika Mohindra (11) said. “I would have preferred to just have free time with my buddy instead of just eating and making the boxes.”

Aparna Yella (11) agreed and stressed the necessity of having more free time.

“We only see our [Eagle buddies] twice a year, and every time we go to the Lower School, it feels like we’re always rushing to the next activity,” Aparna said. “To make a special bond, we need to visit our buddies on a more relaxed schedule instead of occupying all the time with a specific activity.”

The next meeting date for the juniors and their Eagle Buddies has not been announced yet.