Economics Club holds first tutoring session

Economics Club pioneered the first session of their tutoring program last Tuesday at 3:25 in Manzanita to provide more aid for students currently taking the economics courses.

The club offered two kinds of tutoring opportunities, for students interested in either group review meetings or in one on one sessions. The session also offered extra questions and worksheets for students who wanted additional practice.

“The tutoring program offers a way for current economics students to get additional review material and work interactively with other students who have taken the class,” said Vamsi Gadiraju (12), one of the club’s co-founders. “Through this kind of a program, we hope that they can use dynamic help outside the classroom so that learning is not limited in that way. We hope this kind of program will benefit the Econ teachers as well.”

The group sessions were structured similar to the extra help periods for teachers in that students could drop by at any time to ask previous students questions.

In the one on one sessions, students are paired with tutors that have already taken courses from economics teachers Samuel Lepler or Damon Halback.

Some students preferred to use extra help instead of the tutoring session because it was more convenient.

“I did not use econ club tutoring because of extra help. Also, [the teachers] answer all questions even with email quite promptly, and stay after school as well,” Ameek Singh (11) said.

Apart from the tutoring component, the economics club consists of four other committees focusing on competitions, such as the National Econ and Harvard Econ Challenges, recruiting a series of speakers, special events such as BEcon, and finding additional economic opportunities for Harker students.

The next meeting for the tutoring session is set for November 25, and the club plans to continue scheduling meetings every other Tuesday at 3:25 in Manzanita.