Upper School holds annual canned food drive

Sharon Yan

One student peeks into one of four collection bins near the front loading zone. The food drive event began Nov. 10 and ended Nov. 14.

Faculty and students participated in an annual canned food drive starting Nov. 10 and ending Nov. 14, helping the Second Harvest Food Bank feed the hungry during this holiday season.

The Students for Charitable Causes Club worked with the Spirit Club to help organize this event. There are multiple collection bins per grade level and only non-perishable food items should be donated.

According to an article by CNN Money, 48 million Americans live in poverty and 16 percent of American children live on a shortage of food as of 2014.

“I think [the food drive is] a good way to donate to a great cause,” Ankita Sharma (11) said. “I think donating cans of food for homeless people is a good way to give back to our community, and it also builds on the program that they had in the lower school and middle school.”

Morgan Douglas (9) believes in the importance of having ample nutrition and that the annual food drive is something that is admirable.

“Food is really important, and it’s something that sometimes we take for granted,” she said. “I think it’s really great that Harker is doing something like this.”

Other students believe that the food drive can spread concerns and support those in need.

“I think the food drive is a really good way to raise awareness about poverty in our community,” Kevina Xiao (11) said. “It gives us an opportunity to help those in need.”

Similarly, Serena Lu (9) concurs that donating food to those who do not share the same privileges as others is a great way to give back to the community.

“I think it’s pretty cool, I think it’s always good to donate to the people who aren’t as lucky as we are and so they have more food because hunger is a pretty big problem in our country right now.”

On Nov. 19 during long lunch, students plan to participate in a spirit event which involves creating a sculpture out of the canned food items received from the five-day food drive.