Students participate in pumpkin carving spirit event

The representatives of each class for the pumpkin carving spirit event gathered at their designated table with their pumpkin in front of Manzanita Hall today on Wednesday during long lunch.

Five people from each class are recruited for each carving, but people can watch the carving process.

The freshman class started on carving out the stem of their pumpkin while the juniors and Sophomores were focused on emptying the inside of the pumpkin. The seniors did not carve out the insides of their pumpkin.

Arjun Ashok (12), Spirit Commissioner of the senior class, mentioned how the event can bring people together by of the amount of teamwork needed for the competition.

“I think pumpkin carving is really cool, because it’s one of those things where it’s like, in the spirit of the season. Plus, it gets a good amount of people participating; it’s a creative thing, but people can still have fun with it,” he said, “It brings your classes together.”

Spirit Commissioner for the sophomore class Haley Tran (10) mentions how the event is linked into the current season as its tradition.

“It’s just a tradition for Halloween, but it’s also a class competition so we want to do better than other classes,” she said. “I think we in a sense, since we get to see everyone else’s pumpkin, it’s like unifying for the whole school.”

Edward Sheu (11), Spirit Commissioner of the junior class, believes that spirit events help people come together.

“I mean, you can never have enough spirit events,” he said. “It’s always nice to have something where people can come out and just have some fun with an event and I mean, a little competitive element’s good too, but overall it’s just a great experience where everyone can participate.”

Jimmy Lin (9), President of the freshman class, stands by his classmates, observing on how their progress on the carving is going. He believes that events like pumpkin carving really helps bond the classes together.

“It’s a lot of fun, being able to see that we are all able to get together and just work together for a better day,” he said. “It really brings us all together and helps us to understand our fellow members of our class that we’re going to be with for the next four years of our high school lives.”

The event ended with the seniors winning first, sophomores second, juniors third and freshman fourth.

On Halloween today, students are permitted to put their creativity to use and dress up in costumes.