Siemens semifinalists and regional finalists announced

Courtesy of the Siemens Foundation

Thirteen upperclassmen were announced as semifinalists in the Siemens research competition in Math, Science, and Technology last Thursday, more than any other California high school.

Semifinalists Jason Chu (12), Andrew Jin (12), Nitya Mani (12), Roshni Pankhaniya (12), Ankita Pannu (12), Nikash Shankar (12), Neil Movva (12), Rishabh Chandra (11), Vineet Kosaraju (11), Jonathan Ma (11), Sadhika Malladi (11), Alice Wu (11) and Venkat Sankar (10) qualified as semifinalists.

Last Monday, Siemens announced that Jason, Vineet, Sadhika and Jonathan have earned the title of Regional Finalists, along with 56 other students from across the country.

An unprecedented number of students applied to the competition this year, totaling 4,428 student registrations and 1,784 project submissions. From the applicants, 300 students were selected as semifinalists.

Last year, 10 Harker students became semifinalists, and two students, Andrew Jin (12) and Steven Wang (12) became both regional finalists and national finalists.

Jason, Vineet, Sadhika and Jonathan will proceed to the Regional Finals hosted at six different universities. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Institute of Technology, California Institute of Technology, University of Texas at Austin, and the University of Notre Dame will host the students depending on their respective regions.

They will each present to a panel of university judges, and winners will earn a silver medal and a $3000 scholarship. All other finalists in the Regional Competition will receive a $1000 scholarship.

“It was really a pleasant surprise, because I wasn’t expecting this,” Ankita said. “I’m very thrilled though.”

Her project entitled “Mining online cancer support groups: improving healthcare through social data” explored both computer science and medicine.

Regional Finalists will be presenting between the weekends of Nov. 7-22, depending on region, and winners will be invited to compete in the National Competition at the George Washington University in Washington, D.C., on Dec. 5-8.