CEO of Meograph visits journalism classes to introduce new app

Misha Leybovich, CEO of Meograph, presents the app Trio to journalism students. Leybovich detailed the three main components on his company’s new social media application.

Meograph CEO Misha Leybovich visited the Upper School today to talk to journalism students about the development of his new social media app, Trio.

Leybovich wanted feedback from the students on Trio, a new form of social media developed by the company. Meograph is a company that presents web tools to easily create multimedia incorporating a combination of pictures, videos and text.

“We started licensing the creation products to different websites. For example, at NBA.com you can put your voice on top of replays of dunks, and things like that,” Leybovich said. “ Eventually, we started to make a little more money, but we thought we were missing something. We put this money towards a mobile app.We were trying to build the next Instagram, the next Vine, the next social media product.”

Trio is the name of Meograph’s new mobile app.Trio focuses on three main concepts that allow users to create their own multimedia: assets, inspiration, and incentives . The app gives users access to pictures from across the internet, from public Instagram posts to Google Images. Clips from videos can also be used in the creation of the multimedia. Once users have assembled their media together, they can add comments to the pictures or music.

Leybovich’s second design tenet for users was inspiration. Trio shows users that they do not necessarily need clever ideas to post; they can use topics made by their friends.

“In my experience, I’ve only made one Vine, since I don’t have too many ideas for skits,” Leybovich said. “We’re trying to remove the barrier of having clever ideas to create about. You can get these from your friends, and then make your own post.”

Incentive was Leybovich’s final idea for trio. Users might be challenged by their friends to complete certain tasks over social media. Trio encourages users to participate in challenges from their friends with notifications. They would post the media on Trio.

The trio app is still in development since it does contain some bugs at its current stage. For instance, sounds and music are not silenced when the mute button on the phone is on, and video quality might be slow.

“We’re still having some issues, such as connection speed, and occasionally the app crashes,” Leybovich said. “We still have work to do, such as optimizing speed, but it is still being built.”

Meograph will continue developing Trio as they eliminate defects and popularize it among the people.