Sign-ups for 2015 Switzerland exchange program begin

Special to Aquila

The Upper School Switzerland Exchange Program is currently accepting applications for the 2015 trip to Collège de Gambach.

Students from our sister school, Collège de Gambach, in Fribourg, Switzerland, will visit the United States in February over President’s week break. In June, Upper School students will reunite with their “buddies” in Fribourg, where they will live with their buddy’s family, attend classes at Collège de Gambach and sightsee around Switzerland.

Sign-ups are open to all students, regardless of language taken, though priority is given to those taking French.

Once accepted, Upper School students will be paired with a Swiss student with similar interests.

The trip chaperones will be Jennifer Walrod, Director of Global Education, Nicolas Manjoine and MaryEllis Deacon. The tentative dates of travel are June 5 to June 14.

For Walrod, being able to bond with her students makes the trip a memorable experience.

“[I get] to spend time with the US kids and [get] to know them better. Sometimes the U.S. students [had] participated in the exchanges at the middle school and I got to know them as middle school kids,” Walrod said. “On the Swiss trip, I get to know them as upper school kids.”

Excited for the opportunity, Sarisha Kurup (10), a prospective applicant, hopes to be selected.

“It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to broaden my horizons, so I’m definitely going to apply,” Sarisha said.

Ankita Uppugunduri (10), a homestay student on the 2011 Tamagawa trip, believes that Harker Global Education has a strong program, and reflects upon her time in Japan with happiness.

“I really like the way it function[s]…Japan was such a blast for me, and I was able to become friends with my buddy and I am still friends with her,” she said.

Those interested must attend a mandatory trip orientation on Oct. 6 at 5:30 p.m. in the auditorium with Walrod. For further information, contact Walrod at [email protected].