Upperclassmen participate in Siemens competition

Upperclassmen researchers toiled the past few weeks to finish their extensive summer research projects and submit to the Siemens Competition by Sept 30. 

The Siemens science fair is an intensive science research competition, requiring students to spend the summer doing research. Many Harker students enter the Siemens Competition each year with the hopes of winning recognition, praise, and scholarships.

In order to make the rigorous submission procedure more accessible, recent reforms have been added to the system. Beginning this year, students are able to complete their forms electronically rather than mailing physical copies.

“Previously students would have to set up time to get their papers printed, assemble everything hardcopy, [and] get a CD together. It was a lot of little pieces that had to be assembled, and they had to meet a deadline where we’d put everything together and FedEx it,” Harker’s Siemens coordinator Dr. Anita Chetty said. “It’s so much easier now that it’s online.”

The Siemens science competition is known for being difficult to qualify for. With higher stakes and higher payoffs, the Siemens Competition is more challenging and intensive than what most students are accustomed to.

“You’re writing a technical paper that goes up to 20 pages so I guess it goes beyond a lot of what you’d be researching for a science class report,” said competitor David Lin (12). “But a lot of it is just budgeting time during the week to work on it.”

In addition to the submission requirements, many competitors are often simultaneously concerned with college applications when submitting their projects.

“It’s an issue we have every year with seniors doing Siemens because we have Siemens due Sept. 30 and we have a lot of early applications for college due mid October to November 1,” David added. “[But] that’s something we realize before when we’re signing up for this, so it wasn’t really too much of a surprise.”

Harker students have continued to submit to the Siemens Competition, and Harker has continued to rank. Each year from 2009-2012, Harker placed at least four finalists or semifinalists at regionals.

This year, Harker will be participating in both the Siemens Competition and the Intel Science Talent Search, and hopes for students to place.