Upper School to host first ever BEcon

Sidhart+Krishnamurthi+%2812%29%2C+Dhanush+Madabusi+%2811%29%2C+and+Ankur+Karwal+%2811%29+announced++the+launch+of+the+Upper+School%E2%80%99s+first+BEcon%2C+a+business+and+entrepreneurship+conference%2C+at+the+school+meeting+this+morning.+The+event+is+on+Oct.+18+and+tickets+go+on+sale+starting+Wednesday.+

Sidhart Krishnamurthi (12), Dhanush Madabusi (11), and Ankur Karwal (11) announced the launch of the Upper School’s first BEcon, a business and entrepreneurship conference, at the school meeting this morning. The event is on Oct. 18 and tickets go on sale starting Wednesday.

Three students announced the launch of the Upper School’s first BEcon, a business and economics conference, at the school meeting this morning.

This event offers an opportunity for students to participate in a variety of workshops, competitions, lectures, and poster presentations. Speakers will include college professors, executives from respective industries, venture capitalists, and students themselves. Students who would like to present can sign up at http://harkerbecon.weebly.com.

Samuel Lepler, one of the advisors for BEcon, looks forward to watching keynote speaker Ran Abramitzky, a Stanford economics professor, as well as playing economics-related games, such as game theory.

“The main goal is for students and really the whole community to have the opportunity to explore business, entrepreneurship, and economics beyond the classroom,” Lepler said. “Watching everyone have fun and be engaged in the concepts is really what I’m most excited about.”

The idea for BEcon was originally created by senior Sidhart Krishnamurthi who has participated in the research symposium for the past three years, but got more involved in business and economics in his junior year.

“I sort of thought about morphing the two and creating the BEcon symposium,” he said. I feel like that would be really good because Harker is a science based institution by nature and now students will be exposed to the business side of it.”

Junior Panny Shan, one of the members in organizing this event, will be running the conference so she won’t be able to participate in the planned activities.

“I’m looking forward to seeing everyone come and seeing everyone compete and seeing the fruits of our efforts over the past few months,” she said.

The event is scheduled for Oct. 18. Tickets go on sale on Wednesday during long lunch for $10. More information can be found on the BEcon website.