Clubs attract new members at club fair with interactive activities

In the hustle and bustle of yesterday’s Club Fair, many clubs used new interactive techniques to attract sign-ups.

Clubs used posters, powerpoints, and videos to introduce their clubs, as well as decorations, such as a bubble machine by TSA. Others set up activities for passing students at their booths, like a chess game at the Chess Club table or a puzzle by the Linguistics Club. The Robotics Team displayed robots from previous years.

Other clubs took new approaches that required more setup and planning both before and after the fair. The Multimedia Club set up video equipment to interview and film students. They hoped to be able to create a video to show at a school meeting to promote their club.

“We’re basically just interviewing people about what they think about photography and multimedia and how that has influenced or inspired their photography,” Alex Mo (10) said.

Face painting at the Art Club table and card tricks at the new Magic and Cardistry Club booth also helped to draw attention. Some clubs held prize drawings to attract students, like Red Cross with its spinning wheel raffle. Math Club had a guesstimation jar filled with gummy bears. The person with the closest estimate would win the entire jar.

“It was fun. I’m excited to see if I win one of the T-shirts or one of the Red Cross prizes,” said Alexandra Dellar (11), who spun the Red Cross wheel after signing up.

Many students who stopped by for the prize contests were more willing to learn more about the club and perhaps sign up.

“We had a lot of sign ups — more sign ups than usual,” Math Club President Ashwath Thirumalai (12) said. “Most of them come here for [the gummy bears].”

A cappella group Guy’s Gig also took the stage to perform twice, first outside near the entrance to the fair, and later on the gym stage. They sang songs while holding up their club poster board and encouraged interested students to sign up at their booth.

Some club members left their tables to walk around the fair with signs. Interact Club carried an “Interactstagram” poster, stopping students walking by to ask for a photo with them with the poster border around their faces.

“It’s a trend in individual Interact clubs. Since Interact is really involved with using social media to promote club events, we thought that it would be fun and cool to have members participate in/be in the ‘social media’ itself,” Interact Co-President Kevina Xiao (11) said.

Free food helped draw more potential club members. Options ranged from marshmallows and Starbursts to homemade cookies to healthy smoothies made by the new Healthy Habits club.

“We were actually having a sleepover together, and we watched Foodies,” Healthy Habits club member Shannon Richardson (11) said. “It changed our perspective on food in general, and we wanted to eat healthier and spread what we learned from the movie to the school.”

Fifty-six clubs attended the club fair, and many plan to have their first meetings welcoming both new and returning members in the upcoming weeks.