Spirit Club hosts annual First Friday event

Upper+school+students+attempt+the+inflatable+obstacle+course+on+Davis+Field+during+First+Friday.+The+event+also+includes+access+to+the+Upper+School+pool%2C+human-sized+hamster+balls+on+Davis+Field+and+food%2C+drinks%2C+and+music.+

Riya Godbole

Upper school students attempt the inflatable obstacle course on Davis Field during First Friday. The event also includes access to the Upper School pool, human-sized hamster balls on Davis Field and food, drinks, and music.

Human-sized hamster balls, an inflatable obstacle course, and free snacks all came together to set the stage for First Friday, an annual event held on Davis Field yesterday from 5:30-7:30 p.m.

Beginning last year, First Friday was originally organized by Spirit Club to begin the year in a more relaxed way, according to co-Spirit Club president Julia Wang (12). Students who attend the event have access to the Upper School pool, can participate in inflatable obstacle courses and human-sized hamster balls on Davis Field, and enjoy food, drinks, and music for a ticket price of $15.

“We started this because we thought it’d be fun to start off the year with a party or event similar to the one we have at the end of the year,” Julia said.

Students who attended the event enjoyed it as a lighthearted way to begin the year.

“It’s a relaxing way to break into the new school year. You get to spend time with your friends, and watch some beautiful sunsets,” Srivinay Irrinki (12) said.

Last year’s First Friday enjoyed a better turnout, with this year’s event only bringing in about 100 sign-ups and fewer attendees.

Co-Spirit Club president Katy Sanchez (12) felt that the lack of attendance was due to poor advertising on the part of Spirit Club.

“I think last year’s First Friday had better attendance because it was the first time we ever did it and people were curious. This year a lot of people just seemed to ask ‘What is that?’ a lot, so I think next year [Spirit Club] just needs to advertise more,” she said.

Many students who did not attend the event attributed their absence to the lack of activities.

“There’s not really a whole lot to do,” Raghav Jain (11) said.

Junior Dhanush Madabusi agreed with these sentiments, further explaining that the absence of his friends made the event unappealing.

“I think it would have been fun, but only a few people were going, so I chose not to,” he said.

Spirit Club plans to continue First Friday next year.