Senior joins National Youth Orchestra

Helen Wu tours the states for violin

Helen Wu (12) and Arjun Ganguly, a student from Minnesota, warm up backstage before a performance with the National Youth Orchestra. The two were chosen with 118 others to participate in the prestigious Carnegie Hall program, which started in New York.

Senior Helen Wu spent the summer training with professional musicians and performing on a coast-to-coast musical journey as part of the National Youth Orchestra (NYO).

Helen was one of the 120 students selected to participate in Carnegie Hall’s NYO program. She and other music students from around the United States trained with professional musicians at Purchase College in New York before embarking on a musical tour of the United States.

“We worked with with coaches from top orchestras from around the United States. Robert Chen was our Violin 1 coach, and he’s the concertmaster for Chicago in the Orchestra,” Helen said. “All of the coaches we worked with were absolutely amazing; they’re playing was ridiculous.

NYO’s 2014 tour made stops in New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, Wyoming, North Carolina, and California. Among other locations, the performers played in Carnegie Hall, Millennium Park, and the Walt Disney Concert Park. In addition, the players had a “travel day” to sightsee and bond at every location that they played at.

“They’re some of the most intelligent and talented people I’ve ever met, and I think that I’ll ever get to meet,” Helen said. “It was great to have my greatest friend down the hall from me for a month.”

Each year, NYO accepts high performing music students to participate in its residency program and nationwide tour. For her application, Helen submitted a brief musical biography, recommendations, and an audition video.

“The power of [this] orchestra is unmatched in terms of teenage orchestras around the world,” Helen said.

Information and videos from the 2014 tour are available on Carnegie Hall’s NYO website. 

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on August 29, 2014.