New teachers join the ranks of the Upper School staff

STEM teacher taught in China for past job

Anuradha Aiyer: Math and Science

Anuradha (Anu) Aiyer will be joining the math and physics department this fall.

Aiyer comes to the Upper School after experience teaching for four years at Menlo School and three years at Hong Kong International School.

“I am looking forward to working with a great group of students and getting to know my colleagues,” Anu said.

In her free time, she enjoysreading, music, and cooking. Disney movies are her favorite, partly the result of having two twin girls.

In the future, she hopes to return to playing the violin and learning Indian classical music. 

Rosana Pianko: History

History teacher shares musical side, hobbies

Roxana Pianko will join the History and Social Sciences department this year.

“I am looking forward to working with the amazing faculty, students, and administration here at Harker,” she said. “I’ve heard so many wonderful things about everyone here, so I’m most excited about getting to spend my time with really terrific people and getting to teach what I love.”

Pianko previously taught at the Montverde Academy in Florida and also worked closely with autistic students at a special education class in California.

Pianko enjoys reading, traveling, and music. She spends much of her free time working on music for her band.

Ron Bingham: Physics

Physics teacher brings Project Apollo experience 

Ron Bingham will teach physics at the Upper School for the first time this fall.

“I’m looking forward to meeting all my students, teaching physics and the food,” he said. “Teaching at Harker is a dream come true.”

According to Bingham, teaching at Harker will be his first stint as a teacher, because he is changing careers and completing a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) at Western Governor’s University.

Bingham worked as a senior aeroballistics engineer on Project Apollo. He has also occupied the position of Vice President of Engineering for four startups and one Public Company.

Eric Montany: Physics
Eric Montany: Physics

Chess master joins physics department this year

Eric Montany is also joining the science department this fall as a physics teacher at the Upper School.

Montany taught briefly at a charter school in Arizona and also took tutoring jobs.

“I’m most excited to begin a new career in teaching after working in industry,” Montany said. “I have worked extensively in the aerospace and renewable industries, and most recently for the W.M. Keck Observatory and I look forward to bringing these experiences into the classroom.”

Montany is a chess master and is working on a novel about chess strategies. Other hobbies include playing the guitar in various local bands.

Andrew Quinn: College Counseling
Andrew Quinn: College Counseling

Andrew Quinn to replace Lauren Collins this Fall

Andrew Quinn will be joining the college counseling office this fall, taking the place of Lauren Collins, who moved to Massachusetts after the end of the 2013-2014 school year.

“I’m really looking forward to meeting all of the students I’ve been busy learning about and working with their families as they continue in the college application process,” Quinn said.

Quinn has been working with students and their parents as Director of College Counseling at Sage Ridge School in Nevada and managing the Davidson Institute for Talent Development. He was also Assistant Dean of Admissions at Gonzaga University.

New French teacher talks language, love, travel

Galina Tchourilova: French

Galina Tchourilova will teach French starting this year at the Upper School.

“I’m thrilled to work in such a renowned institution as Harker School. I hope that my enthusiasm and love of languages will be contagious for my students,” she said.

Tchourilova taught at a university in Russia and for nearly twenty years taught at a private school in Connecticut.

“I love to travel, to hike, to cook, and everything related to French language and culture,” Tchourilova said.

Tchourilova also expressed her love for cats, the novel Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, and the Korean film Spring.

Tim Case: Debate
Tim Case: Debate

History teacher brings debate coach experience 

Tim Case will soon join the Upper School history department.

Having previously taught at Presentation High School in San Jose, Case has experience as a history teacher as well as a debate coach.

Abhinav Ketineni (11), a student in Case’s AP U.S. History class this year, looks forward to Case as a teacher.

“As a debater, I’m looking forward to having to adapt to his debate experience in the classroom,” he said. “Like in terms of more interactive teaching methods or debates in class as opposed to just memorizing things.”

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on August 29, 2014.