Locker distribution delay results in mixed responses

Jacqui Villareal

In absence of senior advisor Andrew Irvine, senior Dean Diana Moss distributes the locker cards for his advisory. All seniors were assigned the same lockers as the previous year.

During the first school meeting of the year, students received their locker assignments. This year, juniors are in Dobbins Hall, freshman and sophomores are sharing Main, and seniors are in Shah Hall for the second year in a row.

The delay in receiving lockers was caused by the changes involving class trips and Matriculation that took place last week as well as uncertainty in enrollment numbers.

“The number of students we have enrolling at the last minute or not enrolling impacts numbers in advisory. We try and put lockers by advisory because there is a constant reformulating of where students are going to go with their lockers right up to the last minute,” Dean of Students Kevin Williamson said.

“The fact that we added orientation, all the class trips, and everything we did this year different from previous years, we just got behind and caught off guard…Hopefully everybody has their locker now and it worked out,” Williamson said.

Freshman Vivian Wang thought the process went well with the help of her advisor, Meredith Cranston.

“It was very smooth. Our advisor told us we were all together and that if we had any questions we could go ask her,” Vivian said.

Although it was “quick and hectic,” junior advisor Karl Kuehn believed the process was “a pleasant experience,” and the stigma from the situation was caused by the fact that the process was different from last year.

“I was able to check out all of my students efficiently,” Kuehn said. “I think because it happened differently, maybe there’s some disdain for it, but overall I think it was fine,” Kuehn added.

Despite the fact that many people thought the change was fine, others disagreed objecting that the process was troublesome.

“It was really inconvenient because I wanted to bring a lot of my books to school today, and also none of my classes are near Shah [Hall], and it was a long walk over, and I couldn’t even put anything in my locker when we got it because I didn’t have any books with me,” Angeline Pan (12) said.

Kristen Park (11) agreed saying that the change was inconvenient because of previous locker assignments.

“I think because normally people put their stuff in their lockers right after they get their lockers, it was kind of not as good as before because people aren’t as ready” she said.

Although the locker process was different from last year, all students who desired a locker received one.