Sophomores participate in annual ropes course class trip

Aditya Dhar (10) and Sanjana Marce (10) pull the belay in order to help a member of their advisory climb a tree. Teamwork was a key component of making each activity a success.

The sophomore class went on in its annual class trip on Thursday, August 21 and participated in group activities and ropes courses in various outdoor locations.

Compared to previous years, the school administration decided to move the date of the class trips to the day before matriculation. Most students took this as a positive change.

“I think that this was the best possible way to start the year,” Alex Mo (10) said.

The grade was split into four groups each containing either five or six advisories. Students were taken to different spots, such as a wilderness area in Half Moon Bay and YMCA’s Camp Campbell, an outdoor recreational facility in Santa Cruz.

Every location consisted of many team building activities to encourage bonding with classmates as well as extensive ropes courses.

Although some found the teamwork-heavy exercises uninteresting, others found the time with their advisory to be beneficial, especially on the ropes courses.

“I thought that some of the other team bonding activities were boring, especially because the camp worker kept trying to press us into discussing them afterwards,” Molly Wancewicz (10) said.

After students began to step out of their comfort zones, many found the day to be a rewarding experience.

Activities consisted of climbing redwood trees, ziplining, and taking the “leap of faith” off a small platform set up on a pole. Each activity emphasized working as a team in order to reach a common goal.

“We bonded over the various trust activities that we were made to do, and it was a lot of fun,” Nina Levy (10) said.

Not everyone felt that the day ran smoothly, and some wished that the day had been run differently.

“There wasn’t enough time for some of us to go on the different events, and I think that could be improved on with a better balance of time,” Ezra Bekele (10) said.

After finishing up, the sophomores headed back to the Upper School campus, where they ended the day with a barbeque and pool party.

“The day was both physically and mentally challenging, but it was a great experience,” Jonathan Liu (10) said.

Many students left early from the barbeque in order to get a good night’s rest, as the next day began with the annual matriculation ceremony.