Junior class has its last college counseling meeting

College+counselor+Martin+Walsh%2C+begins+the+meeting+and+starts+addressing+the+various+topics+that+he+will+discuss+throughout+the+meeting.+This+was+the+last+college+counseling+meeting+for+the+junior+class.+

Raveena Kapatkar

College counselor Martin Walsh, begins the meeting and starts addressing the various topics that he will discuss throughout the meeting. This was the last college counseling meeting for the junior class.

The junior class had its last counseling meeting today, which was held in the Nichols auditorium during extra help.

During this meeting, the college counselors, Nicole Burrell, Kevin Lum Lung, Martin Walsh, and Lauren Collins, discussed with the students about where they should be by now, for example the junior questionnaire should be finished and turned into their counselor. In addition to that, the counselors talked about the deadlines that are coming up and how the students should be approaching each step.

Burrell, Co-Director of College Counseling, emphasized the point that the counselors are trying to make: the students have to stay on track and work.

“They have some things to do this summer, and they better do them, and these are deliverables that are actually due on September 1.” she said.

Students also realize the importance of college counseling. Juniors, such as Leon Chin and Shreya Dixit, reflect on their overall experience and thoughts about the process.

“I think the college counseling process [and] all of these classes, have been really helpful,” Leon said. “We’re different from many other schools in that this school really prepares you ahead of time and we start early.”

Similarly, Shreya also appreciates what this process is doing for her and how it helps her.

“It helps you think ahead whereas its easy to get caught up in the moment if you didn’t have college counseling,” Shreya said. “Especially with the junior questionnaire it gives you a deadline and you have to think about yourself and really self reflect instead of always thinking about your grades, AP tests, SATs, etc.”

On the other hand, though Maya Nandakumar (11) finds the college counseling process helpful, she believes it can be degrading towards the students at times.

“I know that the college counselors are trying to give us a realistic picture with the case studies and ease us into the process,” she said. “It’s a bit depressing at the same time to see these perfect people who are just so accomplished not getting into their dream schools.”

Even though today was the last college counseling meeting, the junior class will be able to meet up with their counselors individually until June 5.