New yearbook reflects program’s changes

Kaity Gee

Extra TALON yearbooks flood the journalism room. Last-minute books can be purchased by joining a wait-list, available in the journalism room.

TALON staff delivered over 400 yearbooks to the 68 freshman, sophomore, and junior advisories and staff today during a 20-minute advisory period, and seniors while on their annual trip.

On average, 600 books are sold each year, but like the shift in numbers, many changes came to follow.

Each year, people forget that they ordered books, so we tried to change that by giving the books directly to the students

— TALON photo editor Jacqui Villarreal (11)

Previously, students would pick up their yearbook in front of the journalism room. TALON staff would personally sign each person out, as students waited in long queues stemming outside the glass building.

Our leading question was “What inspires you?”. We [also] changed the typical 500-word article format to shorter, 200-word highlights to maximize the number of people and stories we could feature.

— Editor-in-Chief Megan Prakash (12)

The new yearbook is not just textual transformation, but also an entirely new concept in style and design.

Editor-in-Chief Megan Prakash (12) crafted the yearbook around the theme, Life in Color, showcasing the unique personalities in the Harker community, while exhibiting the Upper School bond.

“I really think that we achieved most of our goals with Life in Color,” said Megan. “I can’t have asked for a better group of people to work with during my senior year, and I think we’re closer to each other than any of the 15 staffs before us.”

This year’s edition of TALON features Harker’s vibrant community, in all of its hues and shades, representing how we live our lives in color.