Freshman to junior classes vote for next year’s class officers

Arden Hu

Students line up in front of the journalism room for codes to access computers to vote. Candidates for the junior class especially differed this year due to class officers who were elected to join the ASB Council.

Students cast ballots for their future class council officers and voted on a proposed measure to rotate class colors today during both lunches in the journalism room.

Students lined up according to grade, received two slips of paper with codes, and entered the codes on computers to access council and color voting.

“The process is really constant. The only thing that is different this year is the different vote for the colors, but it seems to be going smoothly,” Honor Council member Sahana Rangarajan (11) said.

Candidates delivered speeches to their respective classes on Tuesday during class meeting and on Wednesday during an assembly to address the goals they hoped to achieve in office.

“I really want to accomplish more in our fundraisers and have more class unity and get more participation in our class spirit events and work with the other class councils more,” said Spirit Coordinator candidate Haley Tran (9).

Other candidates also hoped to respond to feedback and input from members of their classes. Secretary candidate Ryan Pachauri (11) hopes to be a conduit between students and their council.

“[I want to] just make sure that everybody in the class is having lots of fun,” he said. “When people complain and everything, they don’t really do much about it, so I’m hoping that they’ll tell me about it, and I’ll do my best to actually do something about it.”

The ballot also contained votes for rotating class colors, starting with yellow for future freshmen, white for sophomores, green for juniors, and black for seniors, as opposed to keeping one color for four years. While some expressed support for for this measure because they disliked their current color, others preferred the unity offered by maintaining a single color.

“There’s no reason to change colors. It’s like you lose nationality; there’s no pride if you change colors,” sophomore Philip Krause said.

Results from the voting will be announced to the student body at next Monday’s school meeting.