SPIRIT WEEK: Fictional Character Day

Students and teachers alike get spirited for Fictional Character Day

Members of the sophomore class participate in the mattress racing held at lunch. - See more at: https://harkeraquila.com/17735/news/students-and-teachers-alike-get-spirited-for-fictional-character-day/#sthash.eZJJ1mAw.dpuf

Catherine Huang

Members of the sophomore class participate in the mattress racing held at lunch. – See more at: https://harkeraquila.com/17735/news/students-and-teachers-alike-get-spirited-for-fictional-character-day/#sthash.eZJJ1mAw.dpuf

Members of the Harker community dressed up as their favorite fictional characters for today’s Spirit Day.

Students were able to register for class points during lunch, and the points will be added up to see which class was most spirited. Points will be awarded for amount of people who dressed up and signed in.

Spirit day costumes featured physics teacher Miriam Allersma and Jerry Shen (12) as Waldo from “Where’s Waldo,” Melinda Wisdom (9) as Belle from “Beauty and the Beast,” and drama teacher Jeffrey Draper as Sherlock Holmes.

“Dressing up is so fun because you can have a new perspective on your clothes in the closet,” Crystal Jin (9), who wore a Winnie the Pooh sweatshirt today, said.

For today’s event, spirit club carried several mattresses out to Rosenthal Field for the races during both lunches. Students from all classes gathered to watch as each class picked its lightest member to lie on the mattress as four others lifted them up.

Though the juniors did not have enough people during fifth lunch, the freshmen provided Kayvon Solaimanpour to ride on the mattress and Aditya Dhar to help carry it.

“I was just sleeping,” Kayvon said jokingly after the race.

Because juniors are busy with many things right now, very few came to the races at fifth lunch. “I think that with things like the junior questionnaire, APs, and a generally difficult time in classes currently, the junior class spirit is degrading,” Fred Chang (11), next year’s ASB vice president, said. “While it’s understandable to some degree, it’s sort of disappointing, and it would be great if our class came together, stepped it up a notch, and pulled through this week alive, spirited, and of course, victorious.”

During fifth lunch, freshmen came in first, sophomores in second, seniors in third, and juniors last after dropping Kayvon, the freshman, twice before giving up entirely. Sophomores got first, then freshmen, seniors, and juniors during sixth lunch.

Freshman Medha Shah, the lightest among the crowd, volunteered to be carried halfway across the field and back.

“It’s a lot of fun,” she said. “It’s really scary at first, but then it’s okay.”

Tomorrow will be Favorite Sports Team Day, and Powder Puff football will be held on Davis field during long lunch.