Security Changes Introduced After Laptop Theft

+Security+Changes+Introduced+After+Laptop+Theft

Several new policies have been implemented to heighten campus security after six students’ laptops were stolen from their backpacks during a lacrosse game on March 7.

These policies include closing the orchestra room and shed at 5:00 p.m. and locking the lockers in the girls’ locker rooms. Additionally, each student was given the school security number to report suspicious activities or people.

“If someone walks by a backpack and or a laptop case and no one is around you can bet that he or she [will] think about taking it or at least open up the backpack or laptop case and see what’s inside. Treat your possessions as cash because none of us would leave money lying around,” said Head of Security Tor Warmdahl.

Not all students felt the impact of the laptop burglary. Many students recognize theft as unavoidable and rely on security to prevent future occurrences of stealing.

“These things happen, and it’s okay because [our school normally] has great security,” sophomore Sachit Agarwal said.

Per suggestions from both students and teachers, the lacrosse team now locks the locker room during practices and games in addition to ensuring that all backpacks and gear left outside are always attended.

“All the changes seem like really basic things that we probably should have been doing already. Still, they help a lot and they make me feel safer. Hopefully we keep doing these things and don’t get lazy about locking doors and things like that,” said freshman Molly Wancewicz, whose laptop was stolen.

Security encourages students to use the buddy system to prevent bags and other personal items from being unattended. Students should also use their lockers to store expensive items such as laptops and wallets. In addition, students and teachers should report any strange activity by calling the school security number at 408-639-0743.