School meeting recap – 3/24

The French National Honors Society began selling baked goods and home-made macarons today and will continue to every day after school. The sale is held as a fundraiser to help Haitian citizens still affected by the aftermath of Haiti’s 2010 earthquake. Wednesday long lunch sales will include crepes with toppings such as nutella, whipped cream, and fruit.

On Saturday, March 29, the Upper School’s ninth annual Research Symposium, organized by WiSTEM, will be held from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Featuring speakers include Khan Academy’s Salman Khan, UCSC professor Dr. Claire Max, alumni Ilya Sukhar (‘03). The symposium will also exhibit upper and middle school posters and formal talks, corporate exhibitions such as Tesla test drives, activities for preschoolers and lower school students, and STEM Challenge for fifth graders. Standard admission for students is $5 and $10 for adults.

A reception for Near and Mitra Grant scholars for research in U.S. history and humanities, respectively, will be held in April. Seniors Kevin Duraiswamy, Divya Kaladindi, Connie Li, Angela Ma, Zina Jawadi, Maya Madhavan, Anisha Padwekar, and Monica Thukral will have their work published on the library portal. Applications for the 2014-2015 Near and Mitra Grants are due on May 2 and open to rising seniors.

Junior Kelly Wang and senior Monika Lee were both selected to exhibit their artwork in the Santa Clara County High School Art Juried Exhibition at the Art Museum of Los Gatos after submitting works according to the theme “Art is a Conversation.”

The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards included fifteen winners of Gold Keys, Silver Keys, and Honorable Mentions in the visual arts category. Freshman Meilan Steimle won silver in the short story category for the National Award.

In correspondence with the Multicultural Fair on Wednesday, lunch this week will feature a different cultural dish every day. However, due to low lunch grades in the past week, Fresh Mex and the dessert table will be gone on Tuesday, although the ice cream reward for good lunch grades at the beginning of the month will still be given this week.

With the goal of empowering women and girls globally, the Rising International Club will hold a Home Party on Sunday, March 30, to showcase handmade jewelry, fashion accessories, and home decor crafted by women around the world. In addition, the party will showcase ethnic Indian jewelry and accessories and original work by Veena Subrahmanyam as well as guest speaker Pragati Grover.

Applications and nominations for ASB have begun as students collect signatures for candidacy, and the next Career Connect session will be held during Wednesday long lunch. Additionally, rising juniors will select their Recreate Reading choices during Tuesday class meeting, and rising sophomores will make their selections during Thursday advisory. All students must register by Monday, March 31. Failure to do so will result in an assigned study hall.

There will be an alternate schedule on Thursday for Hoscars.