New York: Journalism students present at Columbia convention

Elisabeth Siegel

Junior Priscilla Pan arranges samples of tea-sandwiches created in front of a live audience while Jessica Chang (11) instructs on how to get the best angles for cooking footage. The pair gave a presentation at the CSPA convention in New York on how to maintain a presence in food blogging online for high school publications.

Two journalism students presented a powerpoint concerning their culinary journalism enterprises at the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s convention on March 19.

Juniors Jessica Chang and Priscilla Pan discussed their food column, “In a Nutshell,” which is hosted on Harker Aquila and features original and adapted recipes as well as informational gifs and videos.

“I got the biggest adrenaline rush when I started talking,” Jessica said.

The presentation involved a general overview of the work that went into the food blog as well as a description of how the culinary pair began work in the kitchen in the first place. Jessica and Priscilla invited the audience to move closer and observe the process of making tea sandwiches. They also used the opportunity to demonstrate the techniques they used to shoot the footage used for the instructional videos.

Preparation in the morning involved waking up at 5 a.m. to pre-make the sample tea-sandwiches they handed out to audience-members after the powerpoint presentation. Also, the pair brought homemade caramel candies to give to observers with a sweet-tooth.

According to Jessica, the ultimate lesson she wishes audience members would take away from the presentation is one of perseverance.

“A lot of times, I had an idea and I didn’t think it was possible so I just didn’t pursue it at all, and I guess the point of this presentation was to prove that if you have something that you really want to pursue, […] things will open up for you,” she said. “[People] might have passions that they want to merge together and create something, and we’re just here to remind them that it’s very possible.”

Based on audience response, the two of them consider the presentation a success.

“At the very end, when they started giving us comments about how much they loved our presentation and how they thought it was unique, that was the best part,” Priscilla said.

Audience-member Neesha Venkatesan, one of the entertainment section editors for Monta Vista High School’s newspaper “El Estoque,” also commented on how the presentation played out.

“It was really inspiring because these two people were really into something and they took it pretty far and now they have a big following,” she said. “So if you’re semi-interested in something, you should apply it to journalism if you can.”

Look for “In a Nutshell” updates on Harker Aquila, and follow the culinary duo on twitter at @InANutShellFood.

Read about the second journalism convention session in Harker history.