Fresh mex closed as punishment

Shannon Su

Students received a C for yesterday’s lunchroom cleanup, which resulted in the shut down of the Fresh Mex station for tomorrow during long lunch. Punishments will continue to occur until trash is no longer an issue at the Upper School.

The respective class councils announced at the class meetings today that the Fresh Mex station will be closed and desserts will not be available tomorrow as part of the punishment for poor lunchroom cleanup.

The Upper School was warned by ASB President Arjun Goyal (12) during Monday’s school meeting that if the low grades continued to be given out, the punishment would be enforced. Yesterday, kitchen staff gave students a C as a reflection of the lack of cleanliness in the eating area.

“I certainly agree with the student council that this is a community problem. This is about self-respect as a community and us individuals within the community,” Biology teacher Dr. Matthew Harley said. “We need to do a better job in our place of keeping our school clean aesthetically pleasing, a good learning environment, and we are not doing that.”

Though three A’s and two B’s were given out last week, students received many low marks throughout the weeks before.

“[This new system] has been working, but at the same time we still need to be very diligent about it because after getting a bunch of A’s, some people may relax on cleaning after themselves,” ASB Secretary Vincent Lin (12) said.

Madhu Nori (11), one of the many students who enjoy the Fresh Mex station, was “disheartened” by the announcement at class meeting.

Some students felt that this punishment will have the intended effects, making people clean up after themselves during lunch so that they won’t face the consequences.

“I do think it is necessary because people at Harker take the lunch staff for granted and people should be more aware of their surroundings and try to help out even if they didn’t leave any trash,” Divya Periyakoil (10) said.

Others felt that the students should be punished in other ways.

“School lunch is included in our tuition so for them to take away the Mexican food and dessert is unfair,” Isabel Lai (9) said. “But I do understand where they are coming from.”

Punishments will gradually worsen if student performance does not improve in regards to trash and cleanup.