STEM buddies visit preschool

Harker WiSTEM, or Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, is an organization that helps further the education of women in the previously mentioned fields of study. STEM Buddies is a program in which members of WiSTEM visit their buddies at the preschool to educate the younger students and have fun.

Freshman Molly Wancewicz says “I haven’t been able to participate in STEM Buddies yet, but it seems like a really great opportunity to get involved with other Harker students. Once a month, WiSTEM goes to the Harker preschool and does math and science related activities.”

The goal of STEM Buddies is to foster growth at a young age, allowing the students to explore topics that interest them. Activities that are fun really capture the interest of the preschoolers and provide a starting point for future development.

In November, the WiSTEM members visited the preschool and “we had a biology/plant science themed event with activities such as corn husk doll-making, seed planting in jewel boxes, and hands-on worm observation using dissection.” In January “we had a chemistry themed event where we helped the kids make glow in the dark slime and crystal gardens. We also had a mini-chem magic show” says junior Allison Kiang, STEM Buddies organizer.

Freshman are also allowed to participate in the program and learn to teach Pre-K students as well. WiSTEM plans to visit once each month and have many things to help their buddies learn. “Having been a STEM Buddy, I can honestly say it is a joy to watch these young, creative children show such interest and passion in STEM. They are extremely intelligent and can grasp concepts quickly.” Neymika Jain (9) says “I was part of the “Paper Pots” workshop during the botany meeting, and these inquisitive students kept asking questions about why each step was necessary and how they could create a useable pot. It truly made my day.”

STEM Buddies is somewhat reminiscent of Eagle Buddies, where high school students are paired with lower school students for three years and visit both campuses to encourage connections in the Harker community.

The next STEM Buddies event will take place in the next quarter.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on March 12, 2014