WiSTEM hosts STEM Fair during long lunch

Riya Godbole

Ryan Pachauri (11) attempts to crack a frozen vegetable with a hammer. At the STEM Fair, Chemistry Club exhibited an activity in which they froze vegetables with liquid nitrogen and then invited students to crack the frozen vegetables with a hammer.

As part of its annual club week, WiSTEM (Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) hosted the STEM Fair in the Atrium during long lunch, allowing students to participate in various science-related activities.

STEM Week is coordinated by WiSTEM to promote science, technology, engineering, and mathematics within the school community and fundraise for a cause, which is the Children’s Club at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Tanzania for this year. The club is working with the Tanzania Expedition Group to support clinics that accommodate children with HIV and AIDS.

Though STEM week is the official club week of WiSTEM, the club invited other Upper School STEM clubs to participate in the fair. Among the clubs featured were Chemistry Club, Green Team, and Triple Helix.

Chemistry Club exhibited an activity in which it froze vegetables with liquid nitrogen and then invited students to crack the frozen vegetables with a hammer.

Chemistry Club advisor Andrew Irvine explained that though he is always apprehensive about STEM Week in regards to safety concerns, the event went off “without a hitch” and was “fantastic.”

“As a chemistry teacher, I get all sorts of questions about “‘Hey! Can we make a bomb? Can we set the school on fire?’, and I always say absolutely not, it’s all about safety,” Irvine said. “It’s a balance between making sure that kids can be excited about chemistry and science and STEM in general, while also making sure that I have enough time to manage the interests of the students without letting them get hurt.”

Adithram Rengarachandran (12), co-vice president of Chemistry Club, echoed Irvine’s opinion, believing that “[STEM Week has] been very successful in really educating the whole of Harker on what is really important to our education.”

Serena Wang (11), a member of WiSTEM, expressed sentiments of satisfaction regarding the turnout at the fair, explaining that more people attended STEM fair this year than last year.

“I think it’s really cool how the whole school has fun and contributes to charity at the same time,” she said, concerning STEM week overall.

Bake sales will be held throughout the week during Extra Help, advisory, and after school outside Manzanita. In addition, STEM-related activities will continue to take place during lunch for the remainder of this week. Monday featured a Guess the Statistics Challenge, hosted by WiSTEM and FEM (Female Empowerment) to provide students with statistics about women in the workplace. Students also received the opportunity to write messages to girls at FEM-supported schools, encouraging them to make a difference in the world.

Allison Kiang (11), webmaster and STEM buddies coordinator of WiSTEM, was pleased with the alliance of the WiSTEM and FEM clubs.

“I think it was a nice union of our two clubs because we’re both promoting women’s causes. Normally we focus more on the STEM side, so [it’s] a nice change to bring in more the women’s rights issues,” she said.

On Tuesday, students were taught how to make their own lava lamps and Wednesday featured the STEM fair during long lunch. On Thursday, there will be a crossword puzzle about the Children’s Club at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, and Friday will present a Fermi problem for students to attempt to solve, with the winner in each lunch receiving a prize.