Students compete at California TSA conference

Alex Jang

Juniors Manthra Panchapakesan and Rahul Jayaraman study for their events at the TSA conference. Some events required entrants to submit their projects electronically prior to March 1 while others took place on site.

Twelve students attended the second annual California TSA (Technology Student Association) conference at Diamond Bar High School this weekend to compete in events ranging from Architectural Renovation to Technology Bowl.

Student attendees were sophomores Cynthia Hao, Sophia Luo, and Karen Qi and juniors Eric Cheung, Ashwini Iyer, Alex Jang, Rahul Jayaraman, Neil Movva, Manthra Panchapakesan, Roshni Pankhaniya, Sriram Somasundaram, and Eric Wang.

“[The conference] was really fun but stressful at the same time,” said co-President Sophia Luo (10), who took first in both Career Preparation and Future Technology Teacher. “I had a great time meeting new people and participating in the events.”

Two weeks prior to the conference, Sophia had to work out logistical issues with TSA advisor Anthony Silk. Problems included finding smaller buses to accommodate the small number of students signed up for the trip.

“The most challenging part by far of the trip wasn’t the trip itself but the before organizing,” Sophia said.

Rahul Jayaraman (11), who took first place in first in Essays on Technology and second in Technology Bowl, felt that his favorite part of the conference was the actual competition.

“I really enjoy writing so it felt natural,” he said. “As the words flowed onto the page from my pen, I realized that I was making my voice heard.

At the conference, California TSA hosted a scavenger hunt, a keynote presentation on nanotechnology by Marco Curreli, and an election for state office.

“One of my main goals is really to spread the area of influence [of TSA],” said newly elected state treasurer Samuel Chiang (10) from Diamond Bar High School. “I’m state treasurer, so one of my other goals is also raising funds so we can have better events, and […] we can bring people together so we actually have a sense unity within TSA.”

Nationals will take place from June 27 to July 1 in Washington, D.C.