Gala hits a high note for Performing Arts department

Juhi Gupta

Downbeat performs “We Own the Night” with Middle School students at “Night on the Town,” Harker’s 11th annual gala. The gala featured eight musical numbers and two video simulations of a gym and theater complex, the school’s current capital project.

The Friday night lights shone bright at the San Jose Marriott for Harker’s eleventh annual gala, “Night on the Town,” the main fundraising event of the year.

Yesterday’s gala implemented the silent auction and dinner from last year’s Fashion Show, but featured student performers instead of models.

“We’re just hoping that everyone enjoys the community and supports some great causes,” Head of School Christopher Nikoloff said.

Proceeds from the night will fund Harker’s financial assistance program and a new gym and performing arts theater complex where Rosenthal Field is currently.

As in previous years, some of the night’s proceeds came from live and silent auctions. Prizes included a weekend skiing with the San Francisco 49ers (sold for $5000) and two tickets to the season finale of American Idol at Nokia Theater (sold for $15,000). Carolyn Chang, mother of Sheri Liu (Transitional Kindergarten) won the American Idol tickets, a gift for her family.

“This is our first year at Harker,” said Harker parent Tracy Harley, who outbid other guests for a week at an oceanfront property in Santa Cruz. “We’re always very supportive of schools. We were at a private school before, so we know it’s important for schools to have this kind of support from parents.”

Guests watched a computerized simulation of a potential gym and performing arts center.

“The performing arts center means everything to us,” Downbeat member Glenn Reddy (11) said. “Right now, we’re performing at the ‘cafetorium’ at the Middle School. Having a real theater, real prep rooms, real flyspace, real stage, would be so much of a help for our rehearsals and our shows.”

Appropriately, the evening show focused on Harker’s performing arts department. Opening with “Something’s Coming” from West Side Story, Downbeat segued into a program featuring 103 performers across all three campuses, including Varsity Dance and Dance Fusion.

Some students like Austin Lai (11) voiced their thoughts about the “more formal” program. Unlike in the Fashion Show, only performers represented the Upper School in the gala.

“It feels like the student [involvement] is more limited this year,” he said.

For those performing, like Caroline Howells (11), the event represented less of a shift.

Jin Tuan (6), who has modeled in the Fashion Show before, performed in the closing number with Downbeat this year.

“I never expected it would be this exciting,” she said. “It’s a great sense of bonding. There’s a lot more freedom and dancing around. Before you would just walk down the runway and that was pretty much all you did.”

Unexpected performers hit the stage as well. Technical Director and Production Manager Brian Larsen took the lead vocal on “Hip to be Square” by Huey Lewis and the News. Nikoloff showcased his musical skills, supporting the Jazz Band and other Upper School faculty on a drum set.

After the show, guests turned into performers themselves, dancing until midnight.