Debate teacher named coach of the year

Upper School public forum debate coach Carol Green was presented the national Coach of the Year award at the Blake Debate Tournament in Minneapolis, Minnesota in late December. Green was also given the Brother Polowy Excellence in Coaching Award by the Holy Cross School in New Orleans at a tournament in early October.

Each year in December, The Blake School hosts the last tournament of the year where the school recognizes a coach of the year. Members of the high school community nominate possible honorees, and then previous winners of the award vote upon a recipient. One of the specific reasons Green was recognized in addition to being a successful coach was her contribution to the high school debate community.

“I’ve done curricular work, I’ve done videos, and I’ve reached out to community members,” she said of her achievements. “Also, students at tournaments without coaches can feel comfortable coming up to me and asking for advice.”

Public forum co-captain Kevin Duraiswamy (12) commented on Green’s dedication and accomplishment.

“Ms. Green spends countless hours working with the debaters, planning debate trips, and traveling to the debate tournaments with us almost every weekend–in addition to all the work she does every school day – and it’s very pleasing to see that she has been recognized and honored for all this hard work,” he said.

Green gives credit to the nationally recognized debate program at Harker.

“It’s a successful program; it sets a lot of national standards,” Green said. “When I started coaching public forum, it did not look the same way it does now.”

Senior and public forum co-captain Neil Khemani expressed high hopes for the debate team, which has excelled at tournaments locally and across the country this school year.

“We are extremely proud of debate and we are sure the team is only going to excel from here on out. We have already had a bunch of teams qualify for the Tournament of Champions,” he said.

Since coming to Harker nine years ago, Carol Green has taught public speaking and argumentation at both the sixth grade and high school level. She was originally exposed to speech and debate in high school.

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on Jan. 27, 2014