AP Studio Art students exhibit work

AP Studio Art students displayed their artworks for students and faculty to view in an exhibition held today in Nichols Hall during long lunch.

Juniors and seniors in the course, with concentrations in 2-D design, 3-D design, or drawing, displayed their diverse work, ranging from watercolours inspired by The Brothers Grimm fairy tales to surrealist drawings layered on top of photographs.

“These photos are from all around the Bay Area,” said senior Kianna Bisla, whose concentration focused on finding beauty in the ordinary. “I really liked the picture of the house with graffiti, so I decided to go with that idea.”

Artworks were displayed along with a personal statement from the artist to help viewers understand and connect with the work.

The exhibit also coincided with the 60th birthday of Jaap Bongers, Art Department Chair and 3-D Design teacher. Students sang an impromptu “Happy Birthday” before cutting a cake with an image of Bongers that read “Congratulations AP Art Students and Happy Birthday, Mr. Bongers.”

Students and faculty alike viewed the artwork, engaging in discussions with friends and the artists while enjoying the cake and snacks provided.

“I especially liked the idea of the series of portraits taking out blocks of a person’s face and the digital work of the person stuck behind a map of the world,” said Dr. Miriam Allersma, referring to the digital design works of Megan Prakash (12) and Jessica Yang (11), whose concentration was influenced by the vastness of the universe.

Students will continue working on their three portfolios—quality, breadth, and concentration—until submitting them for the AP exam in May.

Drawing:

Camille Piazza(12)

Nephele Troullinos(11)

Maneesha Panja(12)

Monika Lee(12)

Jerry Shen(12)

Digital Design:

Kianna Bisla(12)

Austin Lai(11)

Megan Prakash(12)

Jessica Yang(11)

3D Design:

Manon Audebert(12)