New TV in the bistro

The+bistros+back+wall+sports+a+new+TV+set+for+students+enjoyment.+The+salad+bar+was+moved+to+the+back+of+the+bistro+for+easier+access%2C+and+the+fruit+baskets+were+moved+to+either+side+of+the+TV%2C+replacing+their+original+location+under+the+sandwiches.+

Fred Chang

The bistro’s back wall sports a new TV set for students’ enjoyment. The salad bar was moved to the back of the bistro for easier access, and the fruit baskets were moved to either side of the TV, replacing their original location under the sandwiches.

A 70-inch flatscreen TV was mounted on the back wall of the Bistro after school on Monday, Feb. 24,  as a first step towards creating a student union on campus, a project of student council.

Freshmen have Dobbins, juniors have Shah, seniors have the Sledge, but sophomores lack a central area. To provide a hangout location for not only the sophomores, but also the entire school, student council has embarked on a project to create a “student union,” a central location where anybody and everybody can relax.

“[The TV] came from an idea of mine to create a student union and a student atmosphere where everybody could hang out,” ASB Treasurer Rohith Bhethanabotla (12) said.

Some students addressed concern over who is allowed to control the TV.

“I don’t know how people are going to share the TV,” Suzy Lou (11) said. “People like a lot of different kinds of shows, so I’m just afraid that people might have to split it up.”

Some, however, were excited by the fact that a large TV is now available.

“For JSA last year we had a “politics and pizza” night and it would be nice to actually have a TV for that–we were using a projector,” Shannon Hong (10) said.

Now that the TV is installed, the salad bar and tables have moved to better accommodate the change.

“I like the new placement actually. It opens up the room a lot more: before the placement felt kind of awkward, but now there is a wide enough space for seating and enough access to the salad bar,” Sarika Bajaj (12) said.

However, students have mixed feelings about the new setup.

“I don’t like the new setting because the forks and fruit are farther away and the tables are a maze so it takes more energy to get food and utensils,” Janet Lee (10) said.

The installation of the TV is the first step in a continuous effort to transform the bistro into a hangout place for everybody. In the future, student council hopes to install a speaker system as well as provide some furniture.