Night on the Town

Night on the Town, a fundraising event featuring dinner, casino games, auctions, dancing, wine tasting, a show, and more will be hosted at the San Jose Marriott on Friday, Feb. 28, replacing the annual fashion show.

The gala aims to fundraise for financial aid programs and expansion projects including the construction of a performing arts center and a gym. Tickets are priced at $200 and are currently available for online reservation.

Similarly to fashion show, a performance will remain a highlight of the night but will feature new routines in addition those by prior participants including Downbeat and Varsity Dance. New additions include choreographed father-daughter and mother-son dances by younger students, a Middle School lip sync, and an Upper School student-teacher rock band.

“We looked for ways to involve more of the community of students who aren’t necessarily performers,” performing arts department chair Laura Lang-Ree said. “Entertainment wise, […] the fashion part of [the show] has been taken out.”

Some students are disappointed by the removal of the fashion element from this year’s show.

“It’s kind of sad because I wanted to do [fashion show] throughout middle school and this year they took it away, ” Hazal Gurcan (9) said. “It made me kind of sad because I wanted to try modeling.”

In addition to the show, attendees will be served a gourmet three-course meal featuring seared salmon with truffle cream sauce, short rib with thyme jus, and quinoa risotto as entrees. Guests will also have opportunities to take photos, enjoy the casino, hit the dance floor, taste various wines, and bid on donated items ranging from vacation homes to authentic sports memorabilia during the silent and live auctions,

Because the event is new this year and the venue is relatively small, it is being marketed primarily towards parents, although students are welcome to come if they would like.

“We wanted to be really really conservative the first time we did this just to make sure that it would be well received and that people would be interested,” Danae McLaughlin, Director of Special Events, said. “It’s kind of all an experiment right now.”

Based on the response that this year’s event receives, McLaughlin hopes to see it expand in years to come. Ultimately, Night on the Town aims to reach more members of the community.

“[I look forward to] watching everybody engage in a way that’s really much more all about us as a community,” Lang-Ree said. “It’s going to be really fun.”

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on Jan. 27, 2014